There are several types of ants that can usually be found, which are the Fire ants (Solenopsis spp.)
Fruit ants (Dolichoderus spp.), Garden ants or Big-Headed ants (Pheidolegeton diversus), Kerengga ants or Weaving ants (Oecophylla smaragdina), Pharaoh ants ( Monomorium pharaonis), Speedo ants (Iridomyrmex spp.), Sugar ants (Tapinuma melanocephalum) and etc.
Characteristics of Ants
- Belongs to the Caste System, consisting of Queen, King, Reproductive, Soldier & Worker
- Can easily be differentiated from other insects by their elbowed antennae and 8-shape abdomen
- Use their antennae to touch and taste as they are nearly blind
- Body colour is mostly red, black, yellow and brown
- Incredibly strong and can lift a load 40 times its body weight.
- Ancestral enemies of termites
- Causes pain upon sting
- Polluting food as they feed on variety of food
- Prevent plant normal growth as they feed on germinating seeds
- Regular systematic spraying is to be carried out to the whole perimeter of the building (including apron area) and other sensitive areas. A good knockdown and residual insecticide will be used. For complete termination of ants, tracing & destroying of the nest(s) is essential.